Wednesday, March 19, 2014

An Outdoorsman’s View on the River



An Outdoorsman’s view on the River - 02/03/14

I’ve never known a longer month, than January of this year. It dragged on endlessly with short days, limited sunlight and polar temperatures. Cold winds and arctic waves of low pressure devoured our house heat like a locust invasion. Frost formed on the inside of windows, while the outside temperatures struggled to get into the teens. I do not like being trapped indoors. Thankfully that has all come to an end and February is underway. I have finally been able to get outside, over the last few days. It is amazing how the simplest pleasures can turn a dreary outlook around to a positive one.
I made three trips to the hard water for perch last week. For the first time I was able to leave my ice creepers in the truck and walk on a snowy surface. Chippewa Bay was covered in a mixture of powdery and hard packed snow. One step would swallow my boots while the next one, put my feet back on top. There is no better workout. I used muscles that have been idle since fall and it felt very good to use them! A couple ventured out on the bay with cross country skis. They took a long trek out close to some islands, before returning with the wind at their backs. It was a beautiful day with a bright sun, but the wind was lean and mean. She blew in from the east shuffling the powdered snow to new locations. The fishing was too slow to mention, but I did land and release one pike. The perch were just not there that day.
 Saturday morning I went over to meet friends at Mud Bay, to try a new jigging spot. On my way over I got to experience one of those simple pleasures, which I mentioned earlier. A Snowy Owl was perched on a utility pole, just off of the road. It was the first time that I have seen one! For years I have been identifying birds and adding the sightings to my Peterson bird book. I stopped my truck and photographed the rare sight. The owl was very cooperative. It watched me and rotated its head in four different directions. This owl was not as white as many are; it had a good many black bars and black dots covering it. Its eyes were bright yellow and piercing, even from a long distance.
Today I went back and was able to get a better photo. I always carry a pad and if possible a camera, to record any unusual birds that I see. Again the owl was unconcerned over my presence. Unfortunately the sun was too bright (for the bird) and it squinted the whole time. They must be very difficult to see on the ground, with all of the snow that we have. Luck was on my side to see this one and it has been added to my book. My bride purchased our bird book thirty one years ago and it has truly enhanced my outdoor excursions. I can think of no better gift for a young person, to get them interested in the outdoors. In this time of electronic devices, even a gift of a book is a rarity! I’d bet you that if one were put into the right hands at an early age, it could make a world of difference.


Today was also a good day for seeing other wildlife. A lot of deer were out in the early afternoon. I counted over fifty in different locations. Some of them were lying down under brush while others stood in open fields, feeding. The snow and ice has made them concentrate on areas where the ground is somewhat open. One group seemed to be enjoying the day with some playful banter. One deer stood on its hind feet like a kangaroo and took swipes at another! I also saw a number of kestrels and red tailed hawks. Each time I try to get a photo of a red tail, they inevitably fly off. They wait until I just about have the camera in focus; all I get is the silhouette of flapping wings and a rear end. Sooner or later I’ll get the shot I’m looking for. Being a birder also teaches patience.
I took a photo today of the river from my boathouse deck. I thought that those of you in far off places would like to see the frozen river. Building that deck was one of my best investments on the river. I get out and keep it clear of snow and ice. When a good day comes along I walk out to the panoramic view and listen. Some days the ice grows and it does it with resounding booms. People say that it sounds like whales talking, I agree. Other days I wait until the sun sets and the morning doves go to roost. The orange light of day fades across the white canvas of snow, just a bit further to the north… each day.
 An ice fishing derby over the weekend brought out a number of ‘iced’ people. I saw some anglers over by Carleton Island on snow mobiles. They were there and setup by seven AM, spending most of the day out on the river. One group must have had children with them, as they left a tower of oddly built snow blocks. There are also other signs of human activity utilizing this unique winter playground. I could see ATV tracks out there as well as some cross country ski furrows. I should invest in a set of those. I think that it would be great to take a trek over to the island in the winter and have a lunch. Maybe I could get up enough leg strength and ambition to round the whole island. Now that would be something to write about!
Mike LaDue, Monday, February 03, 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment