Thursday, April 21, 2011

Birds Returning - 03/12/11 - Written by Mike LaDue


Friday morning greeted us with some very refreshing sounds. A southern wind blew all evening and a sprinkling rain pattered on the tin roof all night. Much to our delight that wind also coerced some birds to migrate, during the evening hours. The tree tops that surround our log home were alive with the renewal of joyous signing. Jet black starlings sat in large numbers on tilted cedar bows. An ever active flock of devoted minstrels, raising head and throat skyward as the sun rose. I lay in bed savoring the delightful squeals, shrills and melodies of these European imports.
Starlings have an amazing range of pitch and seem to mimic many other species of song birds. When they are present in large numbers it is difficult to decipher exactly the source of a familiar sound. Eventually I shook off my cob-webs and ventured out into the warming air, to watch and listen as the day progressed. My advancement outdoors made the heavy flock of starlings nervous and they abruptly scattered into smaller groups. Soon the sounds of individual birds became apparent.
A lone robin swooped into a barren apple tree to plea to heaven for a mate. It reminded me of the coloring outlines that I did as a boy in grade school. Teacher provided a white piece of paper with the black outlines of a robin pulling a worm from the ground, to each student. It’s distinguishing breast ready to be colorfully animated by a seven year old who was anxious to see the real thing! With nearly thirty proudly colored renditions displayed on the class room wall, it was as if spring had already arrived!  I couldn’t wait to take my prize home to tape it to the fridge. I hope that children still get to be involved with the seasons so interactively.
Several small flocks of geese broke my train of thought on that matter, as they scanned the River for some open water. I watched them lower their elevation and listened to their long deep honking. Canada geese are very vocal and gregarious. They are attracted to their own and search them out in every situation. You know, “Safety in numbers”. There is a limited amount of open water on the River. All I could picture in my mind was a thousand geese obliterating each open spot by nightfall.
During a drive to Clayton I spotted some Turkey vultures also returning. Riding high on the air currents, there were one, two and then a half dozen of them. Beyond them on the horizon more geese filtered through the air, in search of cut corn lots for “refueling.” Migrating birds expend a great deal of energy during their respective journeys. The shores of our great River along with our thriving agriculture, supply them with a much needed place to rest. It would seem that the River welcomes all to recuperate and relax near her shores.

On my return from town there were more arrivals to enjoy. A flock of red wing black birds flew past the newly created ponds, across from Zenda farms. Now I knew that this day was not a fluke or another tease. Red wings are my final indicator that winter is letting loose her grip, they don’t show up until it is certain! My face broadened with a satisfied smile as each new winged species filled my eyes and ears.
I entered Cedar Point State Park to poke around and see some open water. I pulled the car off in an open spot to take some photographs. To my surprise, right next to the car a chipmunk was clinging to a tree stump. It posed for a few photos, very cooperatively I must say. The little fur wrapped rodent looked confused and bewildered by the snow banks covering the frosted ground. It turned to look me right in the eye: “Nuts I say… where are the nuts? Come on camper give them up! I know that you have some and I have been patient with your pestering!” I do believe that the “chippies” final look was that of disgruntled discontent, it threw its tail into the air as it departed, showing me it’s behind.
Once home again I opted to cook some chicken on the grill. It seemed the only proper way to welcome the magnificent change of events, which had taken place this day. Smoke billowed from the grill as the thighs and legs browned and snapped atop a steady flame. The aroma, ahh… the aroma… I can smell it still. The sky became alive near nightfall as I finished my “chore”. Canada geese trickled in from the south to settle on the River overnight. Seagulls too, in V shaped flocks followed one another for as long as I stood there to watch. They were riding the southern wind, returning to the River and beyond for another season… I also hope to see you soon, as you migrate back to the Islands.




No comments:

Post a Comment