Friday, April 15, 2011

River Otters - 3/14/11 - Written by Mike Ladue


This morning I grabbed my camera and took a ride, to search for more evidence of spring. I was hoping to see some more new arrivals, from the south. I came upon a field of corn stubble that held a large flock of redwing blackbirds. They were right next to the road and displaying their bright wing spectrums of orange and red. As I swung my camera into place, the flock lifted from the earth in a splendid display of contrasting colors. I missed the photo, too slow on the “draw” once again. Photography can be frustrating at times, especially when wildlife is involved. As I drove on I was still seeing the great cloud of red and orange wings. It would have been a wonderful thing to capture and share with you. Me- oh- my, how could I have blown such a great opportunity? Like the infomercials say “but wait there’s more!”
My next sighting was just incredible. Two large River otters were sitting atop the ice just thirty yards away. They were fishing near a small stream that had a constant flow of runoff. They each lay on the ice facing the same direction, heads held high, looking regal. I got all set for a “shot” of the rare sighting. My shutter clicked and the resulting photo had automatically focused on the nearest object, a bush! Of course the otters decided to slip under the ice while I repositioned the car to an unobstructed spot. Not to worry, they will back up soon and I will have another chance.
Yes, they did resurface, only this time in a new location, where once again that stationary little stand of sticks blocked the view! Oh… it was going to be one of “those days.” I waited some time and saw the pair (out further) on the River, where they had emerged from a single hole. It was a good distance away, really too far to distinguish what was on the ice. I took a chance with another attempt figuring that I might be able to crop in and zoom up the image for something to show for my effort.
I decided that since they had taken to a different hole, they would not return, so I traveled on. “What’s this, oh it can’t be! Another otter!” Sure enough a long sleek brown object with a black tail was scurrying across the broken ice. It ran with a high rear end and a nose scanning the ice. I figured that it would find a hole and slip under the ice soon. This time I had an unobstructed location. It was still a ways off but the background provided a good “feel” for the moment. I did the best that I could and was happy to see an otter completely out of the River.
Out where Lake Ontario ends and the River begins the ice is on the move. Jagged skewed lumps are piled in mounds like a deck of cards. The open water has attracted a number of diving golden eye ducks; they fished and frolicked in between the ice as if it were summer!  The drakes have begun to do some courting, chasing the hens and showing off their plumage. I watched them and the shifting ice for a length of time, absorbing the day and all of its value.
On my journey back I once again saw the otter that had been running about the ice. This time it was huddled down next to a fish. It had caught a northern pike! The two river residents lay side by side, one providing for the other in natures scheme.

No comments:

Post a Comment